The nickel-plating chemical process is a deposit with corrosion, wear and antifriction high resistance. The filler takes place by chemical way without electric current utilization, allowing in this way the treatment on every kind of surface and shape.
As it is a chemical process and not an electrolytic one the obtained cover has a thickness extremely uniform, it does not matter the item shape. The tickness of the coating layer can be from 3 µm up to 150 µm with a precision of 10%.
The appereance can be customized trough pre treatments such as sand blasting or polishing in order to obtain a matt or bright surface.
It is possible to perform the frame or a barrel system treatment according to the item characteristics and the technical needs.
The chemical nickel deposit has a hardness of 450-550 HV and it is possible to increase it performing an heat treatment of the covered item obtaining values of about 1000 HV. A lot of test can be made to mesaure the coating quality: thickness, adhesion, porosity, corrosion resistance, hardness, chemical resistance.
It is possible to cover materials as iron, cast iron, steel, copper, brass, aluminum.
Corrosion resistance thanks to high phosphorus percentage presence, the hardness reachable thanks to further thermic treatments and the strong substrate adherence make of the chemical nickel-plating cover one of the most versatile and effective treatment on the market.
Below are the main standards Electorless Nickel plating refers to:
- ASTM B117: Standard Practice for Operating Salt Spray (Fog) Apparatus
- ASTM B183: Standard Practice for Preparation of Low-Carbon Steel for Electroplating
- ASTM B499: Standard Test Method for Measurement of Coating Thicknesses by the Magnetic Method: Nonmagnetic Coatings on Magnetic Basis Metals
- ASTM B571: Standard Practice for Qualitative Adhesion Testing of Metallic Coatings
- ASTM B578: Standard Test Method for Microhardness of Electroplated Coatings
- ASTM B602: Standard Test Method for Attribute Sampling of Metallic and Inorganic Coatings
- ASTM B636: Standard Test Method for Measurement of Internal Stress of Plated Metallic Coatings with the Spiral Contractometer
- ASTM B689: Standard Specification for Electroplated Engineering Nickel Coatings
- ASTM B322: Standard Guide for Cleaning Metals Prior to Electroplating
- ASTM B733 04(2014): Standard Specification for Autocatalytic (Electroless) Nickel-Phosphorus Coatings on Metal
- ISO 4527 (2003): Metallic coatings -- Autocatalytic (electroless) nickel-phosphorus alloy coatings -- Specification and test methods
- MIL-C-26074: MIL-C-26074D, MILITARY SPECIFICATION: COATINGS, ELECTROLESS NICKEL REQUIREMENTS
- NSF Standard 51: Food Equipment Materials
- NACE24089-6A287 Electroless Nickel Coatings